Wednesday 24 April 2013

Operation new front garden



I have decided it’s time to start planning Operation Front Garden. We inherited the most boring front garden in the world: a square of grass, surrounded by gravel, in front of our bay window. Last year I tried ‘making a wild flower meadow’ (aka, not mowing). My husband was entirely unconvinced by this strategy, and where I saw an emerging meadow he saw a mess. In the end I agreed that perhaps it was the wrong ambition for a small patch of garden in a suburban road. The advantage of having a failed meadow in the front garden means I can come up with an new plan - exciting! 

I am an avid garden watcher and nosy neighbour and it seems like Hebes grow well round here - I like their structure and texture so perhaps I will go for a couple of different varieties, together with some kind of Daphne for autumn/winter fragrance, a Hammamelis intermedia ‘Diane’ which has amazing scalret flowers and only grows to 6 foot. I love Chaenomeles (ornamanteal quince). And Viburnum. I would also love a Tamarisk. And a Garrya Elliptica. And maybe a Ribes. And one of my neighbours has a fantastic Trachelospermum Jasminoides which, despite being a bit tender, seems to be thriving...all exhuberant scarlet autumnul loveliness. 

You get the picture. My new mantra really should be ‘less is more’. In reality, my problem, as ever, will be narrowing down the choices. 


Yesterday's welcome and unexpected soaring temperatures (21ยบ,  no less!) finally coaxed out my Narcissi 'Pheasants Eye', which are planted around the base of one our our still teeny apple trees. 






The pear tree (now on its third home since I bought it 8 years ago) has burst into its frilly springtime display, despite the best efforts of a local crow who was enjoying flower buds for Sunday lunch.














In the glade at the end of the garden a small family of Anemone Nemorosa has appeared - I can't even remember if I planted them but they are so lovely I will add to them in the Autumn...and a few feet away a clump of Leopard's Bane (Doronicum orientale ‘Little Leo’) is providing a welcome splash of sunshine.


 


Yesterday's blog you may remember referred to the stately Tetrapanax Rex my sister has growing in her London garden. Below is a chance to compare and contrast.









Hers. Pretty impressive, huh?






                                                                                             


Mine. Ahem.

2 comments:

  1. As a world renowned expert on tetrapanax (aka the owner of the one in the other photo), I'd just like to reassure you that yours is alive and well and looking exactly as they do just before they do their mysterious and amazing opening-up-and-reaching-tiny-hands-to-the-sky thing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was, yesterday, the tiniest hint of a green shoot. I live in hope. Cold here again today so it may go back to sleep. As may I. X

    ReplyDelete

Your comments, gardening anecdotes and advice are welcome!